Sunday, November 1, 2015

Bachchan verses Papa


Papa gave a stern kick on his Rajdoot and without any hesitation it got into action. Me and my brother sat on the back seats and off we went to see my first movie ever on the 70 mm big screen to Premprakash theater. As soon as we reached the theater, I was super excited but I felt so little in front of the big cinema hall, a bit scared, nervous and immensely happy. I was  going to see the first movie of my life in the cinema Hall, It was huge deal. The movie was of the most famous angry young man from Amitabh Bachchan and it was:  "Mukadar ka Sikandar" It went on to become a cult movie from Bachchan. In the beginning there was a small documentary then various advertisements and stuff and I remember asking my brother every other second if the movie started. I couldn't get that. He was the clever one, always kept saying.... abhi nahi (not now), I will tell you when it happens.


Finally the movie started. It was a very special and overwhelming sight to see a movie on the 70 mm screen and when the song Rote hue aate hai sab... came showing Bachchan on the big screen, I was blown away. He looked so good, Bombay looked so beautiful. That is the only thing left in my memory from that movie and then a little faded bits and pieces. 

The movie was half way through and it was the Intermission. We were the first ones to get out of the theater to the little bar/restaurant. My father ordered two chilled coco colas, one for me and one for my brother. My brother used to love coco cola but me on the other the other hand was a different story. It was very strong for me. Whenever I would drink it, it would start coming of my nose and I would burp like a drunkard. So I told Papa, I would like to have a Gold Spot (version of fanta back then) please. He asked the bar keeper to exchange it for a gold spot as we were the first ones there and there was no crowd. He refuse to change it for me even after my father requested. My father took the cola bottle in his hands and poured the whole thing on the floor, the bar keeper got frantic and started freaking out. My father said since you refused to exchange it and I don't need it so I can do what I want with it. He then ordered a new Gold spot for me, just very plainly as if nothing unusual has happened. My and my brother didn't know what was happening. We were about 10-11 years old. But I still remember a sense of immense security and pride and guts to do that. For a 10 year old to witness something like that was huge. I don't know if it was the right thing to do or not but for me it very special, bold, brave and carefree. The look in his eyes was the look you see while watching Marlyn Brando from the Godfather. I absolutely loved that character and then I saw that same look in my fathers eyes. 

This little incident should have been an experience of a first bollywood movie for me but it turned out to be much more than that. I didn't realise it then but it never faded from my memory. It gave me an immense sense of security and safety from my Father. After going back to the hall to see the other half of the screen movie, it felt so small and  insignificant. The kick of the theater was not such a kick for me anymore. I have already seem my life Hero, Live in action and this still give me kicks and that's more then enough to keep my adrenaline going.  

Love you forever....
Love you till the moon and back.....

No comments:

Post a Comment